- You Crack Me Up: Jokes and Humor in America
- Convo Club: Favorite TV Shows
- Talking About Art
- Convo Club: Favorite Books
- American History: Recent US History
- Convo Club: Recipe Share
Would you like to join a free online class? Let us know which session you would like to join and we will set up a schedule this quarter. Just email us to sign up.
What is your English goal this year? Do you want to become more fluent or to develop your writing skills? Maybe you hope to pass a specific test or to get promoted at work. Whatever your goal is, East Bay ESL wants to help you reach it so we created a free way to practice and get feedback. Sign up for our Free Weekly Online Practice and you will find practice tasks in your inbox every week. Even better, you will have first access to free online classes, a curated online library of instructional videos, and a way to get feedback (from real teachers) on your writing and speaking. Sign up today!
Because our community classes were popular and effective in 2013-2014, East Bay ESL plans to continue to offer free classes next year. Classes are based on community need, so our offerings will change slightly, but classes will still be entirely free for students and offer free childcare.
In 2014-2015, we will run a weekly citizenship prep class as well as a transitions class that will coach students through the move from Family Literacy ESL to GED, work, or community college ESL classes. The transitions class will focus on the writing, presentation, and math skills necessary for more advanced academic classes.
If you want to support these classes, here are a few ways you can help.
Buy a Ladies of Literacy calendar for 2015 or one of the other community class products. Profits from these products will fund our community classes.
Host a house party. Invite a few friends and host a house party/fundraiser. If you would like to hear from the teachers, students, or volunteers in our classes, contact us.
Donate to our classes. Our goal for the year is $6,000. You can help us reach our goal here or sign up to receive updates over summer.
Thank you for your support of immigrants in our community!
After watching the video, take this quiz on reading the room.
1. Most people will tell you directly that they want to stop talking to you. True or False.
2. ______________ and _______________ are signs someone wants to stop talking to you.
3. If someone looks disinterested, you should _________________________.
4. What factors might influence how someone feels about your comments?
5. You should observe how people are reacting to your small talk efforts. True or False.
6. What are three signs that someone in interested in continuing a conversation with you?
East Bay ESL is an English language school for adult students in the San Francisco East Bay.